Two things worthy of note intersect in the topic of this article. The first is the mass migration to cloud everything that has fueled the meteoric growth of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and competing cloud service providers. The second is Microsoft's migration from traditional certifications to role-based credentials that focus on specific job roles.
These two things have combined to make Microsoft's Azure cloud computing platform a hot technology to be certified in. How well do you know the basics of cloud computing and Azure? What follows is a self-test of 25 questions that address general Azure concepts and topics where aspiring Azure technologists should have a high degree of fluency.
Next month, this will be followed up with a second set more focused on the Azure Fundamentals exam. In all cases, pick the best answer(s) to each question. An answer key is posted at the end of the questions. Good luck!
1. Which of the following is NOT true of server-side encryption in Azure?
A. Encryption does not impact the performance of managed disks.
B. Data encrypted is automatically compressed.
C. Data in managed disks is encrypted using 256-bit AES encryption.
D. There is no additional cost for the encryption.
2. You have just created a VM in the Azure portal. By default, a network security group was automatically created it contains one inbound rule with a priority of [Blank], service set to RDP, the protocol set to TCP, port set to [Blank], and action set to [Blank].
A. 3389, 1000, Deny
B. 3389, 100, Allow
C. 1000, 3389, Allow
D. 100, 3389, Deny
3. Virtual machine scale sets support which two distinct orchestration modes?
4. Which of the following is true of Azure ultra disks?
A. They have a maximum disk size of 32,767 GiB.
B. They can only be used as data disks.
C. They support maximum throughput of 750 MiB/s.
D. They support maximum IOPS of 20,000.
5. With premium SSDs, standard SSDs, and standard HDDs, when you disable or delete your encryption key, any VMs with disks using that key will do which of the following?
A. Automatically shut down
B. Automatically decrypt
C. Automatically reformat
D. Automatically scale inward
6. Which of the following is an interactive shell environment you can use through your browser that Azure hosts?
A. Power Hole
C. Cloud Shell
7. In order for a newly hired tech to be able to see Azure Service Health events, what roles must be granted on a subscription?
8. Managed disks offer which two different kinds of encryption?
9. What does Azure Storage use to handle resource contentions and other issues in the background?
A. Automatic malleability
B. Automatic elasticity
C. Automatic scaling
D. Automatic load balancing
10. Enabling disk encryption on any disks attached to a VM will do which of the following?
A. Encrypt all disks
B. Decrease availability
C. Require that you stop the VM
D. Lower IOPS guarantees
11. A cloud provider is willing to offer a written guarantee of nine nines availability. What document should this guarantee be placed in?
12. With Azure, which of the following is a copy of a disk at the point in time it was taken and it applies only to a single disk?
13. With Azure Resource Health, which status means that the resource detected a loss in performance, but is still available for use?
14. Managed disks are integrated and automatically placed in different storage scale units known as which of the following?
15. Throughput can be calculated as which of the following?
A. (IOPS) x (Bandwidth)
B. (Bandwidth) x (IO size)
C. (IOPS) x (IO size)
D. None of these
Please visit GoCertify to attempt the remaining 10 questions of this quiz.
3. A and C
8. B and C